Wednesday, March 31, 2010

'I Can Go Without'

Some days I think, I'm not doing this parenting thing right. Then there are other days, days like today.

It's been raining for a week. The skies are gray. We've been itching to get out. If there is somewhere I need to go, WE ALL GO.

It's as easy as that, but it's not easy at all.

We always seem to learn a life lesson.

It's not that I needed fabric, but I wanted to coordinate some colors with an amazing daisy print my mother in law got me in Pennsylvania. I have red plaid up right now, but just the thought of yellow daisies casting a happy yellow glow through the house was literally enough to drive me and all three of them to the fabric store.

Unfortunately, Edie lost five dollars in the store. She was holding on to it and I reminded her several times the best place for it was in her sparkly purse.
She noticed when we were getting into the truck that it was missing. We quickly checked the purse, and pockets, but no money. We were the only customers, It won't be hard to find it, let's go back in and look. And besides it's five dollars! That is a lot of money! But, we turned up nothing. Edie began to melt down. We asked the associates and of course no associate had found it.

This is when Edie lost it. Absolutely. Lost. It! She was running down each isle, looking, scanning, and screaming for her 'MeMe monies'.
My baby girl was heartbroken. I asked several more associates as well as the same group of employees from my first round of questioning. No one had found it.
Then I began thinking, (to myself of course), where are the good and honest people in the world. IT was lost here, All these people working and no one found it. Seriously? Really? We scoured the store. again, nothing. I looked each associate up and down, trying to detect some sort of discomfort in their face as they concealed this crying baby's money in their pocket.
Nothing.
I carried a sobbing Edie out to the car. I buckled a very sad little girl into her seat. She continued to spiral out of control, shedding buckets of tears from the disappointment. There was some kindness seated beside her. Aubrey was there rubbing her back trying to console her. She was telling to her take a deep breath, and think about happy thoughts.

Eventually she stopped wailing and just sat, looking out the window with silent tears falling down her cheeks. She'd wipe them away with an angry sweep of the back of her hand.
I was terribly upset with the situation too. I bit my lip trying not to cry myself. She is so genuinely upset and I can't believe she lost five bucks!

I gave her a little while

I broke the silence.
I knew it would open up a new flood gate of tears.

I cleared my throat and went into my motherly role of explaining responsibility, choice, and consequence. It was immediately followed by another round of Edie being upset.
She eventually settled down again, and we all gave her her space to work it out. She was upset with herself, and I was upset with myself for not just taking it away.

Then I got the chance to witness kindness, honesty, and love.

'Here Edie. Take mine. I can go without. I just want my baby sister to be happy.' Aubrey said, handing Edie her five dollars.
'Weally Awbwry?', Edie asked.
'Really.' Aubrey said
'I love you this much.' Edie said, opening her arms up as wide as she could.
They hugged, as best as they could both being buckled in.

I didn't tell her to give it back to Aubrey.

I just witnessed an amazing act of kindness. Maybe I am doing ok at this parenting thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment