Wednesday, October 24, 2007

'Early' Three Year Check Up

Here is the thing with the twins they have always, ALWAYS been together, since their day of creation they have shared their space. They were in the same clear, plexi bassinet at the hospital, same crib/ room once we got home. At every doctors appointment they have been in the room together, watching each other, sharing the same piece of tissue paper. When they were babies they would lay side by side looking AT EACH OTHER.
Today they again sat side by side on the edge of the examining table, sharing the same piece of crinkly tissue paper. Aubrey moved Rays hair behind her ear so the doctor could look in her ear. Reagan rubbed Aubrey's leg as the doctor listened to her heart. It was beautiful, but I knew the 'fun stuff' would soon be over and there would be tears (times 2).
This was the first time we have separated the twins for any inoculation.
I was in 'no-witness mode'.
I had talked to them about how they would get a special medicine in their arm, (with a little pinch I added. I would hold up my thumb and index finger like I was doing a pinch of salt and talk in a munchkin voice). I told them it would make them strong and certain germs wouldn't get them sick. I told them to be brave. We touched on this topic several times throughout the day, I didn't want to lead them blindly into something I knew would cause them pain.
We always say 'Who's first?' With two someone always has to go first, and usually they say in unison 'Edie first', or they point to each other. Reagan actually volunteered to go first, thinking she would get some sweet oral medicine. I reminded her of the 'special medicine'.
Aubrey was entertained in the lobby with Daddy and Reagan went first.
She sat on the tissue paper...alone.
Reagan: She went into shy mode while we were there, hiding her true colors. Aubrey's vitals were done first, so Reagan watched then followed what Aubrey did. Once she was down to her undershirt and underpants sitting next to her sister she showed everyone her band aid on her knee, and her true colors began to shine through. They bumped shoulders and giggled with each other.
Reagan came in at:
  • 38 inches tall
  • 32lbs
  • 64th%ILE

She had her head down her hair blocking her peripherals. She had a nurse on each side and on the count, 1, 2, 3...

She certainly earned her 'braveness' badge today. Not a flinch or a peep when she got her shots. She just looked up me exhaling asking me in whisper 'can I have my reward now?' Victor stepped back and said, 'that,..that was amazing!' I quickly scooped her up and changed the subject we went into the lobby and got her jumbo stickers, and swap out the sisters. Todd went in with Aubrey, which was also a first, I usually go or hold each/ALL of them for their shots.




Aubrey: Of course, she chatted it up with the nurse (Victor) that was doing her vitals. She hopped right onto the scale and stood tall when he measured her height. She kept referring to the stethoscope as a telescope she couldn't quiet marry the st-th transition.
Aubrey came in at:

37 1/4 inches tall
30 lbs
59th%ILE

She earned her braveness badge today, it wasn't the 'pinch' from the needles going into each arm on the count of 3, it was the pinching of skin where the shot was going to be administered that scared her. Hardly a fuss, she was ready for the jumbo stickers in the lobby. She came out and said 'he (Victor) scared me.' That was the end of it.

They are both consistent with their Development Phase (I think the ADVANCED column should of been checked:)
They of course both passed with flying colors when it came to eyes, ears, speech, spine, teeth, gums, heart, lungs. The speech part was funny. The doctor asks, 'are they speaking in two word sentences?'. Those of you who know these two know they can communicate and creatively think in great detail, they use full sentences...all day...from the time they get up...all day.

Once we rode back to MeMe and Grampy's in the car the 'milking it' factor came out. They would be running and laughing in circles, having their usual afternoon goofiness, but as soon as we mentioned the medicine at the doctors they BOTH put on a somber face and held their shoulders. Their eyes turned sad and their eyebrows dropped into frowns, I got a super bad pinch Reagan would say.

As I cooked dinner I overheard them talking. They were sitting face to face on the couch lifting each others shirt sleeve. 'I got a bad pinch, did you get a bad pinch?' They observed and compared notes, then ran off to play baby dolls.

2 comments:

  1. Great Idea Separating them... I wouldn't of thought of that. Seem to be tough little cookies. Great Blog today. -Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great check up!!! I am so proud of both of you. Don't get to grown up before I get back. I love and miss you guys. GREAT JOB GIRLS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete